Mexican family recipes to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
Cinco de Mayo is a mexican holiday commemorating the Battle of Puebla. This event is celebrated in Mexico and the U.S. by eating festive food and refreshing tequila drinks.
> Rate this article!
Cinco de Mayo is coming! Would you like to entertain your family with classic Mexican recipes that never fail? Try these, two Mexican cuisine specialties that will be a HIT at your table, plus two delicious cocktails that features tequila.
1. Mole poblano
- 1 boiled and shredded chicken
- 4 tablespoons butter or lard
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 “Poblano” peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 “Mulato” peppers
- 2 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bread fried and sliced (use 1 day-old bread)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablet of chocolate
- 1 corn flour tortilla
- Soak the peppers in hot water. Grind the garlic, sesame seeds, bay leaf, cloves, peppercorns, onion, cinnamon, chocolate, fried bread and the tortilla. Form a paste and set aside.
- Rub butter on a pan and fry the paste. Add salt and the chicken broth until you get the desired consistency.
- Add the chicken and serve.
2. Oaxacan tamales
- 250 grams of butter
- 3 cups of flour for tamales
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 medium onion
- 250 grams of Mole
- Banana leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the chicken breast in water and add medium chopped onion and salt. Remove, shred the chicken breast and set aside. Save the chicken broth.
- Whisk the butter, add the flour and a little chicken broth to form a dough and set aside.
- Heat the Mole in a pot and add a little more of the chicken broth to get a sauce.
- Clean the banana leaves and boil them. Remove the banana leaves from the water and cut into squares.
- Take a banana leave square, put some dough, add the shredded chicken and the sauce over, and cover with more dough. Close the banana leave with four folds and try to give them a square form. Tie the package with kitchen string. Repeat the step until your finish with the banana leaves and stuffing.
- Cook the packages in double boiler on the steamer for 1 hour. Serve.
Cinco de Mayo cocktails (ONLY for adults)
- 1 slice of lime
- Coarse salt
- Crushed ice
- 3 parts white tequila
- 1 part of Triple Sec or Cointreau
- 2 parts lime juice
- 1 slice of lime for garnish
- Rub the rim of a chilled cocktail glass with the lime slice and frost with coarse salt.
- Stir tequila, Triple Sec or Cointreau, lime juice and ice.
- Serve in the glass and garnish with lime wedge.
2. Mexican Fizz
- 2 parts tequila
- ½ measure of grenadine
- 6 shots of dry ginger ale
- Crushed ice
- Shake the tequila, grenadine, ginger ale and half the ice until you get a slush.
- Serve cold in a tall glass and fill with ginger ale to taste.
Sources: Fuentes: Las recetas de la abuela, recetasmexicanas.org, Cócteles (Editorial Parragon).
Easy Related Posts
Detox water to lose weight and burn fat!
If you want to cleanse your body, burn fat, increase energy and feel healthier, try ...read more
Detox menu with hunger-curbing recipes that really work
If you think you need to endure hunger pangs in order to detox your body, ...read more
The best fruits and vegetables juices recipes to lose the extra pounds!
Learn these simple recipes for the tastiest fruit and veggie juices that will help you ...read more
Salad recipes for HCG Diet
You won't regret trying out these 3 mouth-watering salad recipes for the HCG diet; they ...read more